College and Career Readiness Exams

Anuoluwapo Adepegba

Charles Herbert Flowers High School is eagerly encouraging its students to engage in College and Career Readiness activities. These activities solidifies a student’s ability to gain a head start on obtaining college credits and to attend the college of their choice.
According to testing coordinator, Ivora Washington, the Accuplacer “Can be used to help you meet the College and Career Readiness (CCR) Status and may qualify you for Dual Enrollment.” Accuplacer testing took place on Tuesday, October 3, 2017 and Wednesday, October 4, 2017. Those who possessed at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average were automatically signed up to take the Accuplacer. Testing was divided by morning (8:00-10:30 AM) and afternoon (11:30-2:00 PM) sessions on both days and each session consisted of a maximum of 75 students. Students were informed of the testing schedule through announcements made by Principal Gorman Brown and emails sent out by Ivora Washington. In preparation for the exam, College Board created a web-based study app to aid students in improving in areas they are lacking in and to sharpen areas they already succeed in. To access this app, students went to accuplacerpractice.collegeboard.org.
Similarly, students were preparing for the PSAT, which is the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test that was administered on October 11, 2017. All students were encouraged to take the PSAT in order to become familiar with its format. Flowers was specifically trying to target tenth graders to take the test by making it free. But ninth and eleventh graders were required to pay $16 by October 6, 2017 if they wished to take it. Although eleventh graders were required to pay for the test, they benefitted in the long run because they inevitably qualified for the National Merit Scholarship to tackle their college tuition. To aid students, Kaplan created a PSAT Prepathon that occurred on October 7th and 8th from 1-5 p.m. Evidently, students are being provided with the necessary tools in order to become college and career ready.