Alumnus Interview: 12 Questions with Jamar

Manuel A. Morillo

On Alumni Day former students of the Mecca rushed in to visit former teachers and friends. Many students told tales of the lives they were now living and the struggles of college, the military, and even trade school. Among the myriad of students in the halls that day, I happened to meet Jamar (whose last name will be omitted for privacy). Jamar is an alumnus of the class of 2017 who is currently an undecided student attending the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES). Besides being a rising scholar, Jamar is also an aspiring musician pursuing rap and just released a music video. Below are a few questions giving you an inside look at Jamar and his plans:

WHAT iS YOUR PURPOSE?

“I’m glad you asked that question. I’m currently trying to figure that out. When I do, watch out.”

WHO WAS The target audience for the music video?

“I wouldn’t say I had a target audience. I just wanted to get it off my chest. I wanted to rid myself of the pain of loss.”

WHY USE THAT PARTICULAR SCENE for the video?

“Ok, this is actually kind of funny. The videographer recommended I find people to jump around with in an elated manner but lack of participants made that kind of difficult. Oddly enough I didn’t find anyone so we ultimately decided to just film at my house.”

WHAT MADE YOU INTERESTED IN PURSUING MUSIC?

“That video is the first piece I’ve ever formally recorded. I’ve always been involved in acapella rap and spoken word. I’ve just always had a passion for it. I grew up on hip hop and just have a love for the art form and the culture.”

WHO INSPIRES YOU?

“Rappers who rap. People who take pride in the technical skill of rapping and wordplay.”

WHAT iS YOUR WRITING PROCESS?

“Very sporadic. Whenever I have a specific emotion or something I want to address I just come up with something. It’s very in the moment.”

WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO WRITE?

“Primarily the desire to speak my narrative, which I am currently trying to piece together,  and to some degree wanting to be like my influences inspires me to rap though initially it was clout / popularity. That’s gone now thankfully. But at the core it was always looking up to rappers who excel at the technical skill of rapping. Finally, the desire to speak on real issues that impact real people.”

WHERE DO YOU SEE YOURSELF GOING IN A FEW YEARS?

“In general I see myself really figuring out what really drives me and pursuing it relentlessly. I see myself becoming hungry for whatever that drive is.”

WHAT iS YOUR MUSICAL BACKGROUND? WHy rap?

“Musically I got into what I currently do through something called the High School Cypher but I also have a background in acapella rap and spoken word poetry. To be succinct, my start in rap initially started as a form of venting and admiration for the art of rapping. ”

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE CURRENT HIP HOP SCENE?

“The current hip hop scene has gotten to the point where it has branched off into various sub genres. Rap has evolved, it is just about what you’re looking for and what you want, in addition to that it’s just about what people want to hear. Hip hop has simply become so mainstream and commercialized. Its become completely different from that of the past.”

HOW DO YOU SEE YOU AND YOUR MUSIC EVOLVING?

“I see it really just taking off. I see myself figuring out how to create really dope art and using it to educate, inspire, and entertain.”

WHAT DO YOU ASPIRE TO BECOME?

“I aspire to become a selfless purpose driven individual. What that means, I don’t know. I aspire to make an impact and effect in people’s lives.”