Testing Disrupts Classrooms

Testing Disrupts Classrooms

Aderonke Adelegan

There has been a recent development in the environment in which students are told to take the PARCC test. The PARCC tests, in its various forms are mandated by the state, and it is very important that students take and pass the test. The previous set up for students taking the test was that they would be put out of class in order for them to have a proper testing environment, which is quiet and isolated.  Due to an isolated situation involving 9th graders in the gym, future PARCC testers had to take their test during class time. This means that students would have to take the state test during the allotted time of their appointed classes. This directly interferes with class time for other people not taking the test. They spend more time in first and second period but not enough time in third and fourth period. Itś particularly unfair to students who have to take the test during fourth period, in which they are not granted the grace of an extended testing time period. These students are at an even greater disadvantage because not only are they not alloted extra time, they will have to spend even more class time to make up for the unfairness of the time given to take the test. It brings into great question, if the school is properly handling the test and how it should be taken.