Ruby Bridges

Ruby Bridges

Joy Douglas

Nowadays, schools are not segregated. In fact, there are schools just like this one (Charles Herbert Flowers High School) that have a majority of African-American students. For us to get here as African-American students it took some sacrifices from people in the past for the greater good of everyone. This brings me to Ruby Bridges: The first African-American child to integrate into an all white public school.
Ruby Bridges was born on September 8th, 1954, and she was the oldest of 5 kids. During the year Ruby was born, the Sureme Court passed the ruling Brown vs. The Board of Education. But still the South was resistant to change, allowing their schools to still be segregated. Ruby’s school district held an exam to see if African American students could compete at the white schools, and Ruby passed. On November 14th, 1960, Ruby was escorted into the school by her mother and 4 U.S Marshalls. Everyday that year she had to be escorted into the building because of the violent mobs that were outside of the school. But Ruby never missed a day of school that year!
Its because of Ruby’s bravery ¬†we are able to be at the school that we are in right now. She was a pioneer, not realizing the importance of what she was doing back then. So at the end of the day, we would just like to say thank you!