Suspect in Denver Area School Shooting Identified

Aaron Butler

Douglas County Sheriff Tony Spurlock tells us that two suspects were apprehended after the shooting at the STEM school, Highlands Ranch, a K-12 school. About 1,850 students attend the school according to its website. 
Spurlock said earlier that one suspect is an adult male and one is believed to be a juvenile, and both are students at the school.
Spurlock identified one of the suspects as Devon Erickson. Erickson, 18, is the adult suspect, the Douglas Colorado Sheriff’s office said on Twitter. The department also has said it will not release photos at this time to maintain the integrity of the investigation. 
The incident rattled an area that just marked the 20th anniversary of the deadly shooting at Columbine High School, about seven miles away from the STEM school. Douglas County Schools were also closed April 17 as authorities scrambled to find an armed Florida teen they said was infatuated with the Columbine massacre. The woman, authorities said, made threats before she traveled to Colorado, where she died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
“Tragically, this community and those surrounding it know all too well these hateful and horrible acts of violence,” the White House said in a statement.
“This is a terrible event,” Spurlock said. “This is something that no one wants to have happen in their community.” 
The shooting started in the high school just before 2 p.m., authorities said. The suspects walked into the school, and “got deep inside the school,” engaging students in two separate classrooms. One student, an 18-year-old male, was killed in the school, according to Deputy Cocha Heyden, a spokeswoman for the sheriff’s office. 
(give credit)