Wisconsin Teen Shot By Police After Pointing Pellet Gun at Students

Karen Gutierrez Garcia

Tyrone Smith, a high school student at Waukesha South High School, was shot by police on December 3, 2019, for wielding two pellet guns that were brought to school with the intention of scaring off students.
Smith said he was “tired of being picked on” when he pointed what was thought to have been a real firearm. He told police that he brought the pellet guns to scare the students who picked on him and that “other kids would hear about this and be scared,” according to a criminal complaint.
The incident occurred at 10:07 A.M. when a male student was reported to police for bringing and possessing a handgun at Waukesha South High School. The school resource officer responded to help get students away for safety.
At 10:09 A.M. in room 220, tensions rose as Smith was at gunpoint and was not cooperating with Waukesha Police Officer Brady Esser. Officer Brady Esser told Smith, “I need you to take your hands out of your pockets very slowly with nothing in your hands, OK man?”
Smith quickly took his hands out, still holding the gun and Esser fired three shots, striking Smith once in the leg and twice in the arm.
Tyrone Smith was charged as an adult with second-degree recklessly endangering safety, obstructing an officer, disorderly conduct, and dangerous weapons on school premises. Smith told the police, “he was sorry, and he knew it was wrong to bring a gun to school and he would not do it again,” the complaint said.
He was released on a $15,000 signature bond and is due back in court on December 17th, and if convicted, he could serve a 10-year prison sentence and face up to $25,000 in fines.
Sources: 
https://www.foxnews.com/us/wisconsin-student-high-school-shooting-police-pellet-gun