Public School Prison Pipeline

Public School Prison Pipeline

Jordan Coleman

Bells ring and everyone moves to the next class, another bell rings and now it’s time for lunch and then the final bell rings and it’s time to go home. For about eight to nine hours a day, we are told what to do, where to go, and what to wear which sounds awfully similar to a jail system. There have been many studies and articles written that compares our public school system to jail systems. They make note that unfavorable food is served in jail and in school, which can be true in some cases. Students and inmates both have to wear “uniforms” when they are in the facility or for students in school. Lastly, when you are in school you have to be where the administration says you have to be or you face being punished, this is also true for an inmate in the system. One of the comparisons sound quite familiar to school life here at Charles Herbert Flowers, that comparison being the new uniform policy that has been implemented for the 2019-2020 school year. The new uniform of this school year requires all students to wear the same collared forest green shirt and black pants, there is no longer a visible differentiation of students from different grade levels. Everyone looks the same, creativity, uniqueness, and style that goes into picking and wearing an outfit has been taken away from jaguars and we are left to look like every other student in the school. Not only does the uniform policy strip the students from the ability to express themselves, but it also causes confusion to staff and administration and jeopardizes the safety of the students. Flowers have a population of about 2,000 students in one school building each day, far too many students for our limited number of staff to remember a name, let alone a grade, Imagine a scenario where a fight breaks out, the security guard goes on their radio to report the incident and the guards only description is “ A black male with a green shirt on”. The majority of our school population is African American so what happens next? Who is to blame? In a prison system inmates are required by law to wear their “uniforms” because of the simple fact that prisoners committed crimes, them being in uniforms is a punishment towards them. It is one of the many privileges that have taken away from their life of being a criminal but, what crime did students commit? 
Sources: https://themindunleashed.com/2016/05/public-school-or-prison-here-are-10-ways-its-hard-to-tell.html