Relaxed Hair: Helping or Harming?

Relaxed Hair: Helping or Harming?

Oluchi Ike, Online Editor

As you know, the majority of African-Americans have naturally curly hair textures. Despite this, many women chemically alter the texture of their hair in order to loosen the curl pattern, making for a straight look. Back in the day, everybody and their mother had a perm, but modern times call for new changes. Many women are doing big chops, which is a process of cutting the relaxed ends of your hair off. Reasons for this can be because of the common misconception that relaxers cause your hair to break off, or that relaxers burn your hair off. But are relaxers really as harmful as people think?
“Yes, relaxers are harmful. It’s too much chemicals being put in your hair,” said Senior Deborah Labidou. “Being natural is the best! You can wear your hair any way you want. You can be yourself. I love my natural hair and [others] should love theirs too.”
People relax their hair for multiple reasons. A relaxed hair texture makes it easier to wash and style. Natural kinky textures of African American hair tends to dry and tangle easily. Your hair can be damaged and break off whether or not it is relaxed or natural. The key to healthy hair is taking proper care of your hair. Many students expressed mixed views on relaxers and relaxed hair.
“Relaxers are only damaging if you don’t take proper care of your hair or you use the wrong relaxer on your hair,” said Sophomore Telicia Farmer.