Leading Our Generation To Success: Black Leaders of This Generation

Kyra Vasquez, Staff Writer

Its Black History Month, which means your parents probably are telling you about historical black figures that contributed a great deal of their life to ensure that this generation has all the equality possible. These figures such as Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks or Malcolm X are very important; however, it doesn’t really hit the people of this generation because we did not live through it like our parents and grandparents did. Which is why we should honor the figures who influence this generation a great deal.
The first person honored would be obvious. Barack Obama, is a huge influence in the African American community. Barack Obama was elected the first African American of the United States in 2008. Obama help complete Martin Luther King’s dreams by taking this a huge milestone for the African community. Obama’s determination showed this generation that if you put your mind to something you can accomplish anything. Many students shared their thoughts on Obama and his work. “ I look up to Obama because he is in a place where he isn’t wanted and he is making it work.” said Senior Jaushia Cothran. Administrative staff share their thoughts too; “ I think president Obama is a legend,” said Mr. Smalley
Another African American leader of this generation would be Beyonce. Beyonce is a leader because she is a figure for many African American woman all over the world. Beyonce is a feminist and believes that woman should have independence, and rights. Beyonce is an independent, influential, African American woman and a leader to all woman. “ I think Beyonce is cool.” says Senior Limni Sherman. “I think she is empowering to young black woman.” said Senior Armani Tinnin.
A great African American leader of this generation is Ben Carson. Ben Carson was the first surgeon to successfully separated conjoined twins. Ben Carson went from being a poor student to having honors in his graduating class of medical school. Ben Carson is now retired from medicine, but now he is an author. Ben Carson came from nothing and rose up becoming the first doctor to separate conjoined twins. He is a great leader of this generation showing that no matter how bad your surroundings are you can still become successful.
There are many more African American leaders of this generation, just not enough time to list all of them.”I think we have communities legends that don’t get recognized for what they do. May they be legacys for us to follow.” said Mr. Smalley. However, the black leaders of this generation are all trying to say something to the African American people of this generation. And that is “If you’re walking down the right path and you’re willing to keep walking, eventually you’ll make progress,” said Barack Obama