Morning Announcements 2/10/22

Principal Dr. Brown, Ashton Woodman reporter/ editor

Welcome to another Thriving Thursday  at our Mecca of Excellence! Today is a “B” day. Class starts at 7:45am. Please arrive on time, with your masks on, ready to learn!
Grade level Assemblies

Please be advised that the grade level assembly for  11th and 12th grade will be on Friday. This event will be held virtually at 8:30am. Classes that have the technological capability and that have  11th grade and 12th graders should view these assemblies together. For other classes, teachers will provide students the opportunity to log in and watch during class time.

Let’s Celebrate our School Counselors during school Counseling week!!!!
Our Counseling Team has  recorded two presentations this weekend for the student body.  These lessons are part of the Safety Lessons that have to be presented to students.  One is on Anxiety (4 min) and one is on Suicide Prevention and Intervention (6 min). We ask that 1st period teachers share these videos this week during Jaguar Time from 9:05-9:20 on Wednesday.

Additionally Wednesday will be College attire day! We would like everyone to represent any College or  University of your choice, but of course since it is Black History Month we would love to see you in your HBCU attire. To get you fired up about college check out this VIDEO as members of the Divine 9 organizations show love for the Fraternity/ sorority! We also invite staff to wear their College/ Fraternity/ Sorority attire of their choice!
Special shout out to the BEST PSC’s in the world!!!
Mrs. Cheyenne Christian, PSC Department Chairperson
Ms. Alanka Babb
Dr. Shenic Bostic
Ms. Fern Dubose
Mr. Frederick Groves
Ms. Sunaray Hargrove-Miller
Ms. Heidi King
Ms. Kari Mason

Registration Procedure for SY 2023
  • Scheduling dates Feb. 7-11th
  • Each Professional School Counselor created a google classroom for their grade level caseload.
  • All registration for next school year will occur online.
  • Registration will take place next week during the Code of Conduct assemblies.
  • This information has also been posted in google classroom for all Professional School Counselors along with course descriptions for students and parents to look over.
  • All AP course registration will go through Ms. Bego.
  • Science and Tech registration have been completed. Please see Ms. Cotton if you have not done so already.
  • The final day to choose your courses is Friday February 11th.
  • If you do not choose your courses for next year by Feb. 11th your PSC counselor will pick your requests.
SAT Day is coming!!!!

All students classified as 11th graders will be taking the SAT on Wednesday, March 2nd. It will be done during the school day, is free of charge and only 11th grade students can take the exam. More information is forthcoming.

Prominent figure in Black History 
Robert Smalls  Produced by Media Arts 2 student Fernando Relph is the focus of our prominent person in black history. Please see the video linked to his name for a short video produced by one of our Jaguars.
CPSTS sponsors a FREE Driving School!

CPSTS is sponsoring a free Driver’s Educational Scholarship Program for Prince George’s County students. Twenty-eight CHF students were awarded the scholarship in the last application cycle!

Please see the information linked here.  The program will help students meet the hiring standards of many private and public job opportunities.

Wright Talk

Ted Wright is offering his new series of Leadership Development sessions. Please see this linked flyer for more information.

Social Media misuse

Please be advised that commentary associated with the use of weapons at school, even in jest, requires that the Department of Homeland Security be involved. Don’t make a mistake posting something that you find “entertaining” that references serious incidents, such as school shootings. There will be consequences including, possibly, federal charges.

Student Movement Guidance

Great work on keeping the hallways clear and the building quiet  last week. This represents the  daily expectation for our building. We will institute a modified pass policy this week. No more than one student can leave the classroom at a time. Hallsweeps will continue with students captured in hall sweep spending the period in ISS. Repeat offenders will receive swift and decisive disciplinary actions. As we close the 2nd quarter, let’s focus on keeping teaching and learning the priority.
CHF 10th grader recognized by National Media Source

image.png
The Rainbow Club- BLM Action Week
The Rainbow Club is participating in the BLM at School Week of Action, from January 31-February 4, promoting activism and empowerment within our school community. Every day we have prompts based on the 13 guiding principles of BLM. Any clubs, teachers, or students are encouraged to participate! Check out our presentation from last year.

Day 3
Today’s Guiding Principles: 
  • Transgender Affirming
  • Queer Affirming
  • Collective Value
Today’s Prompts:
p.s. these are some of my favorite prompts >:)
  • Share any questions or experiences you have about what it means to be transgender or what people you know (or you) think about it.
  • Think of ways that your parents and society taught you about what it means to be a girl or a boy. Have you ever felt limited by expectations about who you were supposed to like, what you are supposed to look like, or how you are supposed to act?
  • Who are you aware of – in your family, neighborhood, city, country, or world – whose safety and happiness is threatened due to forces beyond their control?
  • What do YOU need people to know about you in order to make YOU feel that you and/or your CULTURE is appreciated and respected?
Feel free to send in any responses, comments, videos, poems, artwork, etc. Please submit to this google form. Also, take a look at the attached posters.

From the Desk of Ms. Hunt- School Social Worker

Please see this information on self-care practices provided by Ms. Hunt. Thank you for sharing these resources with our school community!
Senior College Application Data
I will continue to post the percentages of Seniors at CHF who have applied for College weekly. We are up from last week and are now above 50%. Great work Class of 2022!  Let’s work towards our next goal of 60%! Our goal is for 80% of our Seniors to apply! Let’s get these numbers up!

image.png
Support our Student Journalists via SNO Donates

We have set up a donation through SNO to help our student journalists. SNO Donate makes it easy to collect donations through our SNO website from family, alumni, and community members who want to support your journalism program.

Community donations will support the student journalists of Charles Herbert Flowers. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover the annual website hosting costs. Please go over to the website now. Every dollar helps! https://chfhsnews.com/
image.png
Time to start thinking about AP!!

AP registration has begun! The Advanced Placement program allows our students to access rigorous, college-level course work. EVERY student should be thinking about taking as many AP classes as possible prior to graduation. Please reach out Dr. Boykins at [email protected] if you have more questions.

Dr. Gorman E. Brown
Principal, Charles Herbert Flowers H.S.
10001 Ardwick-Ardmore Road
Springdale, MD 20774
Phone: (301) 636-8000
Fax:     (301) 636-8008Do all the good you can
By all the means you can
In all the ways you can
In all the places you can
To all the people you can
As long as ever you can

John Wesley

Connectedness….Strategic….Input….Learner….Communication