Urban Health Media Project

A Chance For Students To Profit Off of Videos

Deontae Roach, Sydney Ellis, Editor

USA TODAY’s healthcare policy reporter.

Earlier this week in my Journalism 3-A class period, we met an official Journalist, Jayne O’Donnell. Wow! She’s been a journalist since the 1980’s. She has worked with news organizations such as an organization by the name of “U.S.A. Today”. Many of you may know this, but if you don’t, it is an American daily middle-market newspaper, and news broadcasting company. Ms. O’Donnell also has created opportunities for many young journalists to get started. She believes that our generation can “really go far”! O’Donnell understands that the previous generation hasn’t really made the future easy for us, and that is why she wants to help train youth to earn decent jobs. She wants to help make a difference in society. Right now, our country contains more imprisoned citizens than any other country? Are we raising criminals? What is it about us that forms a society that grows up to be locked up? Is it our leaders? Parents? Peers? Environment? Or is it all four. What can we do to change this?

Ms. O’Donnell is providing opportunities for youth to be featured in official news organizations. She is currently on a journey to discover students who can produce creative videos on platforms such as TikTok and Instagram about current events in society. Would you consider this?