Late passes? “Who needs em?”

Avery Thomas / Editor: Makenzie Roy , Writer

For about 3 weeks now our principal Dr. Gorman Brown has put in place a policy that any student that arrives after 8:00 A.M. must receive a late pass from the office. In the picture students, Kaden Moody, Zero Peters, Morenike Olajide, and Oluwatise Ikusika arrived to sch0ol 15-20 minutes before the time on their late pass states. At first glance it seems like a good idea and gives students an incentive to get to school on time, but going to get these late passes are interfering with our education even more. I have noticed that the lines for these late passes are outrageous. Students will get in line for passes at 8:05 A.M. and the time on their pass would be 8:20 A.M. I believe the staff underestimated how many kids are late on a daily basis here at Charles Herbert Flowers. Another problem with these late passes is we are not even supposed to get paper passes to go to the bathroom because of COVID, so why give us paper passes to pass to our teachers when they know we are late? I think a solution to this is that any student that arrives to class after 8:00 A.M. can be given an electronic late pass from their teacher so they will miss no more instruction waiting in lines. This can also prevent the spread of COVID-19. We have the access to do basically everything virtual, why risk contamination with paper passes when all we have to do is set up a website where we can get virtual late passes. The staff here at Flowers High School have to think about what is more important, penalizing students for being late and taking away more time from their education, or them getting as much instruction as they can. Students and teachers, I want to hear your voices; what do you all think about these late passes? Do they help or hinder?