03/01/22 Morning Announcements

Nia Tabe, Principal Dr. Gorman E. Brown

Welcome to another Terrific Tuesday at our Mecca of Excellence! Today is an “A” day. The class starts at 7:45 am. Please arrive on time, with your masks on, ready to learn!
SAT Day is coming!!!!

All students classified as 11th graders will be taking the SAT on Wednesday, March 2nd. It will be done during the school day, is free of charge and only 11th-grade students can take the exam. 11th-grade classroom assignments for the exam have been posted. Students will report to their testing sites after going to their 1B class for attendance purposes, releasing at 7:55 am to go to the exam site. All students not testing will be in their 2A classes for the ENTIRE DAY. Assignments and attendance forms will be posted on google classroom for those non-testers who choose not to attend, 

Lift Club Celebrates Women’s Month!

-On Saturday, March 5th from 12 pm-3 pm, The Lift Club, with help from our very own SGA will be accepting toiletry donations.
The location will be at Flowers High School, the bus/side entrance. Due to it being Women’s Month in March, our main focus is on feminine hygiene products/toiletries. You DO NOT have to donate only Women’s toiletries. By donating any type of toiletries, you WILL gain service hours!
Manhood 101 BACK IN THE BUILDING!!!
Manhood 101 will be back in the building for biweekly meetings beginning Wednesday, March 2nd at 7pm. If you are ready to see why some of the greatest leaders ever to come out of CHF attribute their success to this program, we invite you to come out!
HBCU EXPO at Bowie State University!
Senior College Application Data
I will continue to post the percentages of Seniors at CHF who have applied for College weekly. We had a nice jump last week and are nearing our next benchmark of 60%! Great work Class of 2022!   Our goal is for 80% of our Seniors to apply! Let’s get these numbers up!
CHF Culture day goes viral!

This event, though short and sweet, paved a way for “the Mecca” to go viral on different social media platforms. In the span of three days, the videos of the ASA team performance and a showcase of the widespread cultures at Charles Herbert Flowers High School have gotten over 1.5 million views and thousands of comments in admiration on ‘TikTok’. Once again, thank you for this opportunity as “the Mecca” is currently trending for excellence.
Direct Links to Videos:
Early Childhood Education Program and Dr. Suess Readalong. Last chance!
Please see this important information regarding the ECE program and a chance to receive community service while supporting children!
https://forms.gle/b3peu72KdC2ijnJK7
Registration Procedure for SY 2023 FOR GRADE 9-11!!!!
  • Each Professional School Counselor created a google classroom for their grade level caseload.
  • All registration for the next school year will occur online.
  • Registration will take place next week during the Code of Conduct assemblies.
  • This information has also been posted in google classroom for all Professional School Counselors along with course descriptions for students and parents to look over.
  • All AP course registration will go through Ms. Bego.
  • Science and Tech registration has been completed. Please see Ms. Cotton if you have not done so already.
  • The final day to choose your courses is Friday, February 11th.
  • If you do not choose your courses for next year by Feb. 11th your PSC counselor will pick your requests.
Student Movement Guidance

Great work on keeping the hallways clear and the building quiet. This represents the daily expectation for our building. We will institute a modified pass policy this week. No more than one student can leave the classroom at a time. Hallsweeps will continue with students captured in the hall sweep spending the period in ISS. Repeat offenders will receive swift and decisive disciplinary actions. As we close the 2nd quarter, let’s focus on keeping teaching and learning the priority.

CPSTS sponsors a FREE Driving School!

CPSTS is sponsoring a free Driver’s Educational Scholarship Program for Prince George’s County students. Twenty-eight CHF students were awarded the scholarship in the last application cycle!

Please see the information linked here.  The program will help students meet the hiring standards of many private and public job opportunities.

Wright Talk

Ted Wright is offering his new series of Leadership Development sessions. Please see this linked flyer for more information.

Social Media misuse

Please be advised that commentary associated with the use of weapons at school, even in jest, requires that the Department of Homeland Security be involved. Don’t make a mistake posting something that you find “entertaining” that references serious incidents, such as school shootings. There will be consequences including, possibly, federal charges.

From the Desk of Ms. Hunt- School Social Worker

Please see this information on self-care practices provided by Ms. Hunt. Thank you for sharing these resources with our school community!
Time to start thinking about AP!!

AP registration has begun! The Advanced Placement program allows our students to access rigorous, college-level coursework. EVERY student should be thinking about taking as many AP classes as possible prior to graduation. Please reach out to Dr. Boykins at [email protected] if you have more questions.
Dr. Gorman E. Brown
Principal, Charles Herbert Flowers H.S.
10001 Ardwick-Ardmore Road
Springdale, MD 20774
Phone: (301) 636-8000
Fax:     (301) 636-8008Do all the good you can
By all means you can
In all the ways you can
In all the places you can
To all the people you can
As long as ever you canJohn Wesley

Connectedness…Strategic…Input…Learner…Communication