Morning Announcements 03/04/22

The Pom and Dance Showcase is TONIGHT at 7pm.

Principal Doctor Brown, Editor: Stacey Alexis

Welcome to another Fantastic Friday at our Mecca of Excellence! Today is a “B” day. Class starts at 7:45am. Please arrive on time, with your masks on, ready to learn!
Friday, March 4th– 3 Hour Early Release Schedule.
Kudos to Lady Jags Basketball Team and Jaguar Wrestlers!
The Lady Jaguars win tonight versus Suitland High School vaults them into the State quarterfinals! They will host an opponent to be determined on Saturday at 5pm. Come on out and support our Jaguars!
Additionally, SIX Jaguars have made it to the State Wrestling Tournament which will be held at the Show Place Arena in Upper Marlboro this Saturday as well. Let’s give the following Jaguars our support!
JAYVON JACKSON (120), OLUWASEYITAN FASHINA (152) AND ANTWONE BROOKS (170)
LONDON HARPS (115), DESTINY GORDON (145) AND GLORIA MANDIJILA (235)
Go Jaguars!!!
Computer Science Honor Society

The Computer Science Honor Society is committed to the embodiment of three core values: Equity, Service, and Excellence. The CSHS has a realization that any student has the potential to enroll, to grow, and to excel in computing. We empower members to become ambassadors of the computer science discipline, helping to underscore its importance as a mainstay in the school community and we have a commitment to promoting outstanding scholarship in computer science coursework.

To be eligible for membership, candidates must have completed at least one semester of rigorous computer science coursework. Courses include: Computer Science Discoveries, Exploring Computer Science, Advanced Placement Computer Science Principles, Advanced Placement Computer Science A, and Introduction to Object Oriented Programming in Computer Science, and have a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Other qualifications are in the application packet.

Follow the URL or scan the QR code to download and print an application or see Dr. White in Room 408 for a hard copy.

tinyurl.com/FlowersCompSciApp 

PGRASG Leadership Summit
image.png

Let’s support literacy by giving books to Ardmore ES!

image.pngCHF POMS and Dance Showcase!
image.png
Lift Club Celebrates Women’s Month!

On Saturday, March 5th from 12 pm-3pm, The Lift Club, with help from our very own SGA will be accepting toiletry donations.

The location will be at Flowers High School, the bus/side entrance. Due to it being Women’s month in March, our main focus is on feminine hygiene products/toiletries. You DO NOT have to donate only Women toiletries. By donating any type of toiletries, you WILL gain service hours!

image.png

HBCU EXPO at Bowie State University!
image.png
Senior College Application Data
I will continue to post the percentages of Seniors at CHF who have applied for College weekly. We had a nice jump last week and are nearing our next benchmark of 60%! Great work Class of 2022!   Our goal is for 80% of our Seniors to apply! Let’s get these numbers up!
image.png
CHF Culture day goes viral!
This event, though short and sweet, paved a way for “the Mecca” to go viral on different social media platforms. In the span of three days, the videos of the ASA team performance and showcase of the widespread cultures at Charles Herbert Flowers High School have gotten over 1.5 million views and thousands of comments in admiration on ‘TikTok’. Once again, thank you for this opportunity as “the Mecca” is currently trending for excellence.
Direct Links to Videos:
CPSTS sponsors a FREE Driving School!
CPSTS is sponsoring a free Driver’s Educational Scholarship Program for Prince George’s County students. Twenty-eight CHF students were awarded the scholarship in the last application cycle!

Please see the information linked here.  The program will help students meet the hiring standards of many private and public job opportunities.

Wright Talk

Ted Wright is offering his new series of Leadership Development sessions. Please see this linked flyer for more information.

Social Media misuse

Please be advised that commentary associated with the use of weapons at school, even in jest, requires that the Department of Homeland Security be involved. Don’t make a mistake posting something that you find “entertaining” that references serious incidents, such as school shootings. There will be consequences including, possibly, federal charges.

From the Desk of Ms. Hunt- School Social Worker

Please see this information on self-care practices provided by Ms. Hunt. Thank you for sharing these resources with our school community!
Time to start thinking about AP!!
AP registration has begun! The Advanced Placement program allows our students to access rigorous, college-level course work. EVERY student should be thinking about taking as many AP classes as possible prior to graduation. Please reach out Dr. Boykins at [email protected] if you have more questions.