Morning Announcements 03/08/22

PGRASG Leadership Summit

Principal Doctor Brown, Editor: Stacey Alexis

Welcome to another Terrific Tuesday at our Mecca of Excellence! Today is a “B” day. Class starts at 7:45am. Please arrive on time, with your masks on, ready to learn!
Kudos to Lady Jags Basketball Team and Jaguar Wrestlers!
The Lady Jaguars win on Saturday versus Northpoint has vaulted them into the State semi-finals! They will play Clarksburg at Paint Branch HS on Tuesday night at 7:30pm. Come out and support our Jags as they pursue another Stater Championship!
Congratulations to the six Jaguars who competed in the State Wrestling Championships and Destiny Gordon who won 5th place in the state competition!
Go Jaguars!!!
Computer Science Honor Society
The Computer Science Honor Society is committed to the embodiment of three core values: Equity, Service, and Excellence. The CSHS has a realization that any student has the potential to enroll, to grow, and to excel in computing. We empower members to become ambassadors of the computer science discipline, helping to underscore its importance as a mainstay in the school community and we have a commitment to promoting outstanding scholarship in computer science coursework.

To be eligible for membership, candidates must have completed at least one semester of rigorous computer science coursework. Courses include: Computer Science Discoveries, Exploring Computer Science, Advanced Placement Computer Science Principles, Advanced Placement Computer Science A, and Introduction to Object Oriented Programming in Computer Science, and have a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Other qualifications are in the application packet.

Follow the URL or scan the QR code to download and print an application or see Dr. White in Room 408 for a hard copy.

tinyurl.com/FlowersCompSciApp 

Jaguar Caleb Smith Recognized by County Executive Alsobrooks! 
Caleb Smith was recognized for his efforts in aviation by receiving a proclamation from the County Executive last week. We are very proud of Caleb as he is the Country’s youngest certified glider pilot! Please see the decree below!
image.png
image.png
CHF POMS and Dance Showcase!
Congratulations to our Dance and Pom Team for hosting a wonderful community showcase on Friday night. They were the stars of the show with several exhilarating performances! Kudos Dance Team! Kudos also to the Band Drumline, African Student Association, Jaguar Players also participated. See this picture from the event!
HBCU EXPO at Bowie State University!
image.png
Senior College Application Data
I will continue to post the percentages of Seniors at CHF who have applied for College weekly. We had a nice jump last week and are nearing our next benchmark of 60%! Great work Class of 2022!   Our goal is for 80% of our Seniors to apply! Let’s get these numbers up!
image.png
CHF Culture day goes viral!
This event, though short and sweet, paved a way for “the Mecca” to go viral on different social media platforms. In the span of three days, the videos of the ASA team performance and showcase of the widespread cultures at Charles Herbert Flowers High School have gotten over 1.5 million views and thousands of comments in admiration on ‘TikTok’. Once again, thank you for this opportunity as “the Mecca” is currently trending for excellence.
Direct Links to Videos:
CPSTS sponsors a FREE Driving School!
CPSTS is sponsoring a free Driver’s Educational Scholarship Program for Prince George’s County students. Twenty-eight CHF students were awarded the scholarship in the last application cycle!

Please see the information linked here.  The program will help students meet the hiring standards of many private and public job opportunities.

Wright Talk

Ted Wright is offering his new series of Leadership Development sessions. Please see this linked flyer for more information.

Social Media misuse

Please be advised that commentary associated with the use of weapons at school, even in jest, requires that the Department of Homeland Security be involved. Don’t make a mistake posting something that you find “entertaining” that references serious incidents, such as school shootings. There will be consequences including, possibly, federal charges.

From the Desk of Ms. Hunt- School Social Worker

Please see this information on self-care practices provided by Ms. Hunt. Thank you for sharing these resources with our school community!

Time to start thinking about AP!!
AP registration has begun! The Advanced Placement program allows our students to access rigorous, college-level course work. EVERY student should be thinking about taking as many AP classes as possible prior to graduation. Please reach out Dr. Boykins at [email protected] if you have more questions.