CHF Updates 03142022

Nia Tabe, Principal Dr.Gorman E. Brown

March 14, 2022

Greetings CHF School Community!

I greet you in the spirit of excellence and extend my personal prayers and well wishes as we welcome in the Spring and the remainder of the 2022 School Year!

Covid-19 Support

I would like to happily share our partnership with a non-profit organization, ICCI( ICCI – Institute for Creative Community Initiatives (iccinitiatives.org)).  We will be engaging with ICCI on a new project to provide supportive outreach services to our families who have been impacted directly or indirectly by COVID-19.  If you like to inquire about receiving services or find out more information about the process, please use the link below to submit your service request.

https://forms.office.com/r/SRSjPqaayb

Uniform Policy- Moving Forward

As we continue to plan for the next school year, it is important that we solicit input from all members of our school community regarding whether we will continue to be an institution that requires school uniforms. As students have increasingly taken advantage of the flexibility offered with the current uniform policy, and with the growing number of families that have communicated their concern with having a mandatory uniform policy, it is time to revisit whether it is in our best interest to remain a mandatory uniform school. The Uniform Committee, in conjunction with the PTSA have explored the process of exploring options and, as Principal, I am communicating the process in this correspondence. The steps that will be taken are as follows:

1. If 20% of the parents in the school complete the petition below, the uniform policy will be revisited and taken to a vote.  Parents will have from March 15- March 29 to sign the petition. If the petition does not reach the 20% threshold, we will remain a Mandatory Uniform School.

Petition- Revisit the possible removal of the Mandatory Uniform Policy

2. If the 20% threshold is reached, parents will be given the opportunity to vote on whether the school would continue the Mandatory Uniform policy or not. The vote will occur from March 30- April 8. If the majority of parents that cast votes decide that they would like the policy vacated, then CHF will no longer be a Mandatory Uniform School.

3. The outcome of the process will be communicated to the school community upon the return from Spring Break on April 19.

This process is aligned with the expectations of PGCPS Administrative Procedure 0114  which I have linked for your convenience.

If CHF ceases to be a mandatory Uniform School, students will be required to wear their School ID’s while in the school community.  Regardless of whether CHF continues to be a Mandatory Uniform School, students are required to abide by the PGCPS Dress Code. These mandates will be enforced immediately.  Details of the dress code are detailed below:

System-Wide Dress Code for Students

HEAD

• Headdresses can be worn indoors for religious or health reasons only.

SHIRTS AND BLOUSES

Shirts and blouses should be continuous from neckline to waist. The entire mid-section should not show. No tank tops and muscle shirts.

• No clothing with vulgar language, obscene pictures, weapons, drugs/alcohol or drug paraphernalia and tobacco products.
  • No identifiable gang/crew clothing or paraphernalia.
  •  No see-through clothing.

SKIRTS, DRESSES, AND SHORTS

• Skirts, dresses, shorts, and spandex skirts should be approximately six (6) inches below the buttocks, or no shorter than fingertip level.

PANTS

• Pants should be secured at waist: no sagging below waist to expose undergarments.
  • Tights, stretch pants, leggings, and spandex body suits must be worn with clothing long enough to cover buttocks.

SHOES

•  Shoes must be worn.

Please ensure that your young person is compliant with the requirements of the Systemic Dress Code daily.

Grading Policy- Reteaching/ Reassessment and “good faith” effort

As students contend with challenging standards, our school district has instituted a policy where assignments and assessments may be requested to be retaught and reassessed as long as the student has completed the original assessment or submitted the assignment on time. Once engaging in the reteaching and reassessment, the new grade will replace the original grade. The language from AP 5121.3 regarding reteaching and reassessment can be found on page 5 of the document

Students also have the opportunity to receive a minimum “good faith” effort score of 50% on all assignments where they have submitted the assignment on time. The language from the Administrative Procedure regarding “good faith effort can be found on page 6 of the document. I am linking the complete Administrative Procedure for your convenience below.

Administrative Procedure 5121.3- Grading and Reporting in High Schools

Budget Guidance and Community Input

We would like your input as we make decisions for our priorities for the SY 2022-2023. Please take a few minutes to complete our CHF School Priorities Survey so that we can incorporate your thoughts in our future plans.

If you have any questions regarding the contents of this correspondence, please feel free to contact the school at 301-636-8000.

In Service,

Dr. Gorman E. Brown, Principal