Morning Announcements 04/21/22

Poms Tryouts are this Saturday!

Principal Doctor Brown, Editor: Stacey Alexis and Saffiatu Johnson

Welcome to another Thankful, Thriving Thursday at our Mecca of Excellence! Today is a “B” day. Class starts at 7:45am. Please arrive on time, with your masks on, ready to learn!

Congratulations to Nathaniel Banjo!
Congratulations Nathaniel Banjo for being selected to attend Apple’s 2022 Engineering Technology Camp (ETC)! The four-week program gives students a rare and exciting glimpse into the company as well as the opportunity to collaborate with Apple engineers to solve real technical challenges. Students will participate in hands-on workshops and classes as well as engage in interactive discussions with Apple engineers. Only 30 students were selected from across the United States. Apple will provide all the equipment needed to participate including a computer!
Congratulations to Mary Nwude- Amazon Future Engineer Scholar

image.png

Maryann Nwude was selected as a recipient of the Amazon Future Engineer Scholarship! The Amazon Future Engineer Scholarship awarded 250 college-bound seniors from underserved and underrepresented communities with a $40,000 scholarship and a guaranteed paid Software Engineering internship at Amazon after their freshman year. See her post here.
Maryann also received the NCWIT (National Center for Women & Information Technology) Award for Aspirations in Computing as a Maryland Affiliate Winner. This award honors 9th-12th grade women, genderqueer, or non-binary students for their computing-related achievements and interests, and encourages them to pursue their passions. Chosen students are those who have significantly demonstrated interest and aptitude for computing. View her award profile here.

Flag Tryouts
Do you have what it takes to be a part of the Black and Green Marching Machine? Interested in being a flag girl? Then join our school’s very own flag team!  It’s similar to being a majorette but with a different pole. See attached flyer below for more details.

image.png

Jaguar Spring Sports

Please see this link for upcoming sporting events Sports Calendar

Senior Updates- IMPORTANT!!!! SPECIAL SENIOR MEETING FRIDAY MORNING AT 8AM. 

Prom Attendance will require a covid test and posted results within 24 hours of the event.
Senior Signing Day
The National Honor Society is sponsoring the 9th Annual Senior Signing & Career Day on April 29, 2022! Senior Signing & Career Day recognizes all seniors and their future plans. This year we will also be hosting Senior Award Day at this event. Please complete the link below and indicate whether you will be attending a college, university, academy, US military, vocational/trade school, or entering the workforce. The google form will take you no more than 5 minutes to complete and is due no later than Wednesday, April 13, 2022 @ 11:59pm. Please be prepared to upload a picture of yourself wearing the paraphernalia or “gear” of the school, academy, military organization, or job. If you do not have paraphernalia, be creative – upload a baby picture or a selfie holding up the acceptance letter or school/work logo on a piece of paper. If you do not upload a picture, your slideshow will have a blank space.

*FINAL EXAMS AND TESTING  SCHEDULE FOR SENIORS*

May 4th, 2022 – Final Exams: (1st and 3rd period B DAY)

May 5th, 2022 – Final Exams: (1st and 3rd period A DAY)

May 9th, 2022 –  Final Exams: (2nd and 4th period A DAY)

May 10th, 2022- Final Exams: (2nd and 4th period B DAY)

May 11th, 2022 – FINAL EXAM MAKE-UP SCHEDULE

EARLY CHECKOUT WITH MS. YARBOROUGH AUDITORIUM HALLWAY

MAY 9TH, 2022 Students with last names A-K (Auditorium Hallway

May 10th, 2022 Students with last names L-Z (Auditorium Hallway

May 11th, 2022 Students Make Up Day For Checkout                      

SENIOR CHECK OUT & RETURN OF MATERIALS SCHEDULE 

May 11th, 2022- Students with last name A-K (Location TBD)

May 12th, 2022- Students with last name L-Z (Location TBD)

May 13th, 2022 – MAKE UP DAY FOR MATERIALS RETURN

May 13th, 2022 – OFFICIAL LAST DAY FOR SENIORS

* OFFICIAL LAST DAY FOR SENIORS IS: MAY 13TH, 2022*

ALL SENIORS MUST BE CLEARED OF FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS IN ORDER  TO PARTICIPATE IN THE GRADUATION CEREMONY.

PER THE STATE OF MARYLAND SENIORS SHOULD HAVE COMPLETED 24 SERVICE LEARNING HOURS AS A GRADUATION REQUIREMENT.

Bowie Youth Council Town Hall- TODAY

The Bowie Youth Council is new to the City of Bowie as of July 2021. It was formed to provide
an opportunity for local students to have a place in their community where they can voice their
opinions and know that their voices matter to the community and their community leaders. The
Youth Council consists of 11 City of Bowie students in middle and high school. These students
are given an opportunity to engage the community, build leadership skills, and be a powerful
voice for our generation. They interface with city officials and they represent the four districts in
Bowie.
The Inaugural Bowie Youth Council cordially invites you and your staff of educators to attend
our 1st ever Youth Town Hall on Thursday, April 21st, 2022 from 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm. The goal
of the event is to introduce the Bowie Youth Council to the community, listen to local officials on
issues of mental health, school safety and truancy, and to hear from our Bowie Youth to discuss
any concerns or ideas that they may have for the community in which they reside.
This is an in-person event that will be held at the Kenhill Center located at 2614 Kenhill Drive,
Bowie, MD 20715. All guests must adhere to Covid-19 protocols. Snacks will be provided at
the event!
Registration is required for the event.
Register for the event here:
https://www.cityofbowie.org/FormCenter/Clerks-Office-20/Youth-Town-Hall-133
We are asking that you please share the student letter and flyer enclosed with your Specialty
Programs as well as your Parent/Teacher Organizations. We are targeting your students who
live in Bowie, Maryland. Thank you in advance for your support in assisting us to bring our

Bowie Youth community together. Hope to see you there!

Guidance videos
Please see the linked videos from our guidance department for your viewing 

Dr. Bostic Safe School Video

Become a Peer Leader!

Juniors interested in becoming Peer leaders, please see this flyer.
National Honor Society Applications and Homework Assistance 
Linked you will find the application process for current 10th and 11th grade students as well a new Homework Assistance Program being sponsored by NHS. Please take advantage of the opportunities.
Computer Science Honor Society

The Computer Science Honor Society is committed to the embodiment of three core values: Equity, Service, and Excellence. The CSHS has a realization that any student has the potential to enroll, to grow, and to excel in computing. We empower members to become ambassadors of the computer science discipline, helping to underscore its importance as a mainstay in the school community and we have a commitment to promoting outstanding scholarship in computer science coursework.

To be eligible for membership, candidates must have completed at least one semester of rigorous computer science coursework. Courses include: Computer Science Discoveries, Exploring Computer Science, Advanced Placement Computer Science Principles, Advanced Placement Computer Science A, and Introduction to Object Oriented Programming in Computer Science, and have a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Other qualifications are in the application packet.

Follow the URL or scan the QR code to download and print an application or see Dr. White in Room 408 for a hard copy.

tinyurl.com/FlowersCompSciApp 

Cybergirls Summer Learning Experience 
Prince George’s Community College (PGCC) and Bowie State University (BSU) are both hosting the Compugirls Cyber Warriors summer camp from June 27 to July 1, 2022, daily from 9:00am-4:00pm. The camp will be in-person, and interested individuals can choose the camp most convenient to their location. Please see the attached flyer for more information and a link to apply.
CompuGirls Cyber Warriors provides fun programs where participants learn the latest technologies in digital media, cybersecurity, and coding. The curriculum is designed to create connections that support lifelong skill development in an empowering, creative, and fun environment. This program is funded through an educational grant with the Department of Defense and is, therefore, provided to students at no cost. Lunch and snacks will also be provided.
Please feel free to share with your networks.  If you have questions, please reach out to  (Tracy Ring, dirkste@pgcc.edu) or Tara Nkrumah at tnkrumah@asu.edu.  Cybergirls flyer
Senior College Application Data
I will continue to post the percentages of Seniors at CHF who have applied for College weekly. We are pretty stagnant right now, but are nearing our next benchmark of 60%! Great work Class of 2022!   Our goal is for 80% of our Seniors to apply! Let’s get these numbers up!

image.png

Social Media misuse
Please be advised that commentary associated with the use of weapons at school, even in jest, requires that the Department of Homeland Security be involved. Don’t make a mistake posting something that you find “entertaining” that references serious incidents, such as school shootings. There will be consequences including, possibly, federal charges.

From the Desk of Ms. Hunt- School Social Worker

Please see this information on self-care practices provided by Ms. Hunt. Thank you for sharing these resources with our school community!