Opinion on Violence

Nia Silke Tabe, Writer, Editor

My opinion on violence is that it is a necessary issue and a big problem everywhere in the nation. The government should be able to control violence and provide hidden surveillance if necessary to have evidence of what is covered in the real situation in our community. Violence needs to be stopped and until violence isn’t stopped, you are just allowing it to keep happening. If you see something, then say something. Violence needs to be understood in its broad context and departments of public health can integrate violence into the mainstream of public health. Violence in our community is caused by frustration and exposure to violent media. It is real! You can protest, and you can make a difference in it with your voice or speak up. Over 1.6 million people worldwide die each year as a result of violence. For instance, worldwide, violence is one of the leading causes of death for people between the ages of 15 and 44, causing 14% of male and 7% of female deaths. Furthermore, many more people are injured and suffer from a variety of physical, sexual, reproductive, and mental health issues for every person who dies as a result of violence. In addition, violence has a significant impact on national economies, costing nations billions of dollars annually in lost productivity, health care, and law enforcement. Moreover, there is a widespread belief that violence is an inevitable part of human nature, that the criminal justice system is responsible for taking preventative measures, and that victims’ care and rehabilitation are the health sector’s primary responsibilities. Therefore, depending on who is defining violence and for what purpose, there are numerous definitions. For instance, these assumptions, on the other hand, are being questioned as progress in the prevention of a variety of other health issues related to the environment and behavior, including HIV/AIDS, smoking, and heart disease, have demonstrated the capacity of public health to address the underlying causes of complex conditions. Besides, the World Report on Violence and Health aims to bring attention to this potential and call for public health to play a much larger and more comprehensive role in the fight against violence. Consequently, public health responses to the prevention of violence, according to the report, should be informed by the best available evidence and based on sound research. Equally important, it must be collaborative and involve professionals from a variety of fields, including medicine, epidemiology, psychology, sociology, criminology, education, and economics. The public health approach is not a substitute for human rights and criminal justice responses to violence rather, it adds to their activities and provides them with additional resources for collaboration and tools. The lack of a clear definition of violence is one reason why it has been largely ignored as a public health problem. The issue of violence is difficult to discuss in a global setting due to the many different moral codes that exist around the world. As a result, this is made worse by the fact that as values and social norms change, ideas about what is acceptable behavior and what is harmful are influenced by culture and constantly changing. For instance, knowledge sharing, agreement on prevention objectives, and action coordination, international agencies, governments, researchers, networks, and nongovernmental organizations involved in violence prevention must improve their working relationships. In the same way, advocacy groups should be recognized and encouraged for their contributions by providing these groups with official status at important international conferences and including them in official working groups. Examples of these groups include those concerned with suicide, abuse of the elderly, and human rights violations. Finally, the goal of all national health systems should be to provide victims of all forms of violence with high-quality care as well as the rehabilitation and support services they need to avoid further complications. In the end, some priorities are the capacity of the healthcare industry to treat and rehabilitate victims, as well as improvements to emergency response systems recognizing the indications of violent incidents or ongoing violent situations and directing victims to the appropriate agencies for support and follow-up ensuring that earlier victims are not re-victimized by health, judicial, police, or social services and that these services effectively discourage repeat offenders; social support, programs for preventing violence, and other services to safeguard families at risk of violence and lessen caregiver stress; incorporation of violence prevention modules into nursing and medical student curricula.

Workplace Violence