Scholarship Annoucement

Scholarship Annoucement

Charles Colbert

VIRGINIA STATE UNIVERSITY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
Prince George’s County (MD) Chapter
P.O. Box 471003
District Heights, MD  20753

2017 High School Scholarship Application

The Prince George’s County Maryland Chapter of Virginia State University Alumni Association is awarding $1000 scholarships to high school seniors who are planning to attend Virginia State University on a full-time basis upon graduation.  To be eligible, the student must be a resident and attend a public school in Prince George’s County, MD.  All applications must be postmarked no later than April 30, 2017.

A completed application package must be mailed to the scholarship committee.  The package must include a complete application, two letters of recommendation, an essay and an official (sealed)  transcript that include the first semester grades of the current year.  Applications that are incomplete will not be considered.

Checklist

Signed and completed application
 Essay with name at the top right corner
 Letters of recommendation (2)
 Official (sealed) transcript with first semester grades of the current year

Sincerely,

Joan J. Brown
Joan J. Brown
President
Please check the scholarship for which you are applying.  You may apply for only one.

☐     MERIT – awarded on the basis of academic achievement and individual motivation.

☐     MERIT NEED — awarded on the basis of academic achievement and financial need.

Prince George’s County Maryland Chapter of Virginia State University Alumni Association awards $1000 scholarships to high school seniors who are planning to attend Virginia State University.  To be eligible, the student must be residing and attending a public school in Prince George’s County, MD.  All applications must be postmarked no later than April 30, 2017.

The application process consists of the following:

1.   An official high school transcript, which includes grades for the 1st semester of the current year.
         Minimum GPA of 2.5

1.   Two letters of recommendation. Recommendations will be accepted from the following people:

A guidance counselor or teacher
A minister, employer, or coach
A neighbor or community leader

1.    A typewritten essay of at least 250 words and no longer than 350 words on the following topic:

Identify one issue concerning the youth in Prince George’s County and propose two strategies that can be implemented to solve and/or address the issue.  Essays will be evaluated on language mechanics, coherence and unity, clarity of expression and focus on the topic.  Please place the topic and your name at the top of your essay.

INTERVIEW:
The Scholarship Committee will interview eligible applicants.  You will be notified of the date, time, and place of the interview.  Interviews will be evaluated on communication skills, poise and posture, quality of responses, and appropriateness of dress.

SELECTION:
Selection will be based upon the committee’s overall rating of the information submitted and the interview.

Please mail the completed application, official transcript, two letters of recommendation, and the essay to:

Prince George’s County Maryland Chapter
Virginia State University Alumni Association
Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 471003
District Heights, MD 20753